I remember the lost and bewildered feeling I had when I first went natural. I had this texture of hair that I was not familiar with and I was doing everything to it at once and expecting great results! I wish I had some on to tell me that all my hair needed was a K.I.S.S.
The term “Keep it Simple Stupid” was a little too harsh for me so I dolled it up a little and I prefer my way! “Knottiness Involves Simple Styling” means exactly what it says! Don’t be intimidated by this new, denser hair! The simpler you keep your routine, the more enjoyable your natural hair journey will be!
Here are a few tips from my K.I.S.S. theory!
- Give it a break! Wear styles that you don’t have to mess with until your next cleansing or styles that can last through a cleansing
- Make love, not war! Make sure your detangling tools have wide spaces between the teeth/bristles and that you are detangling with love not frustration!!!
- Feed it! Before styling and manipulating your hair, make sure you use a product that moisturizes and lubricates. You hair is more cooperative when it is full.
- Drama-Free! When selecting styles, chose those that put the least stress on your hair. Time consuming, intricate and super tight styles, will leave it in need of therapy!
- Dress it up! Accessories, adornments, jewelry, even a little makeup can always compliment a natural hair style! A scarf, flower or even some great earrings can put a nice twist on any look!
- Be Confident!! You can pull off any look that your desire if you own it! There are no mistakes in your existence! There is nothing wrong with enhancing what you have but you must also have unconditional love for you r wonderful self!!
Sometimes we can overcomplicate things for ourselves when it comes to our hair leading to a love/hate or even dysfunctional relationship with our hair. With all that said, when you start getting frustrated or overwhelmed by your natural hair just stop and give it a K.I.S.S.!